non-resident Tuition Waivers

Texas Education Code, Sec. 54.212. TEACHING OR RESEARCH ASSISTANT. A teaching assistant or research assistant of any institution of higher education and the spouse and children of such a teaching assistant or research assistant are entitled to register in a state institution of higher education by paying the tuition fees and other fees or charges required for Texas residents under Section 54.051 of this code, without regard to the length of time the assistant has resided in Texas, if the assistant is employed at least one-half time in a teaching or research assistant position which relates to the assistant's degree program under rules and regulations established by the employer institution. Transferred and redesignated from Education Code, Section 54.063 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 359, Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2012.

Graduate Assistant Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Qualifications

To be eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver tied to employment as a Graduate Assistant (GA), the student must be:

  • employed at 50% effort in an eligible GA position prior to the 12th class day of fall/spring or 4th class day of the summer session in which the student is enrolling,
  • making satisfactory academic progress, and
  • registered full-time. Reference the GA registration requirements page for specific enrollment requirements based on title and term. 
  • submit the non-resident tuition waiver request form to the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies,

NOTE: All non-resident tuition waiver request forms for GA’s employed in non-academic units and for students enrolled at the Health Science Center must be submitted to OGAPS for processing. 

Spouse and Dependent Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Requests

Spouses and dependents of eligible GA’s also qualify for resident tuition. For spouse/dependent waivers, the eligible student must provide proof of legal marriage or dependency with the non-resident tuition waiver spouse or dependent form

Late Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Requests

Non-resident tuition waiver requests received after the 12th class day in a regular fall/spring term or after the 4th class day in a summer term are considered late. To still be considered for a non-resident tuition waiver after the deadline, the student or employing department must:

  • submit the non-resident tuition waiver request form to the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies,
  • include a copy of the job details screen in Workday verifying employment in an eligible title code, and
  • include a memo from the employing department stating the reason the waiver is being submitted late.

 These documents are required for all late fall, spring and summer non-resident tuition waiver requests.

If you have any more questions, please take a look at our FAQ page.

Defense Announcements

Upcoming Events