non-resident Tuition Waivers


Texas Education Code, Sec. 54.212. TEACHING OR RESEARCH ASSISTANT. A teaching assistant or research assistant of any institution of higher education and the spouse and children of such a teaching assistant or research assistant are entitled to register in a state institution of higher education by paying the tuition fees and other fees or charges required for Texas residents under Section 54.051 of this code, without regard to the length of time the assistant has resided in Texas, if the assistant is employed at least one-half time in a teaching or research assistant position which relates to the assistant's degree program under rules and regulations established by the employer institution. Transferred and redesignated from Education Code, Section 54.063 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 359, Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2012.

Graduate Assistant Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Qualifications

To be eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver tied to employment as a Graduate Assistant (GA), the student must be:

  • employed at 50% effort in an eligible GA position prior to the 12th class day of fall/spring or 4th class day of the summer session in which the student is enrolling,
  • making satisfactory academic progress, and
  • registered full-time. Reference the GA registration requirements page for specific enrollment requirements based on title and term. 

Spouses and dependents of eligible GAs also qualify for resident tuition.
For spouse/dependent waivers, proof of legal marriage or dependency is required.

 Submitting a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Request

Graduate Assistants (and spouses/dependents of Graduate Assistants) employed by an academic department must work with their employing department to request and obtain a non-resident tuition waiver.
The Graduate and Professional School is responsible for reviewing and processing requests when:

  • the graduate assistant is enrolled at the Health Science Center, or
  • the graduate assistant is employed in a non-academic department, or
  • ‚Äčthe graduate assistant (and spouses/dependents of graduate assistants) is submitting a late request.

For waivers submitted to the Graduate and Professional School, it is strongly recommended that the graduate assistant identify the names and TAMU emails for the designated Authorized Signers in a) the employing department and b) the student’s home academic department.

Ensuring that you collect the contact information for the correct persons will enable us to process your Non-Resident Tuition Waiver request without unnecessary delays. If you need help identifying the appropriate person(s), contact the academic advisor in both your employing department and home academic department (if they are distinct).

Upon confirming the designated Authorized Signers, graduate students submitting a request for a Non-Resident Tuition Wavier to the Graduate and Professional School must initiate the Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Request Form or the Non-Resident Tuition Spouse or Dependent Form

Upon completion of the form, a digital workflow will be created. After all designated Authorized Signers on the form have signed, the form will be routed to the Graduate and Professional School for processing. If approved, the waiver will be entered in the student’s account. If the waiver is not approved, the Graduate and Professional School will notify the student via the student’s TAMU Email address.

Late Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Requests

Non-resident tuition waiver requests received after the 12th class day in a regular fall/spring term or after the 4th class day in a summer term are considered late. To find the calendar date of this deadline, please refer to the University Academic Calendar.  All late waivers are submitted to the Graduate and Professional School, regardless of the employing department.
To be considered for a non-resident tuition waiver after the deadline, the student or employing department must:

  • submit the non-resident tuition waiver request form to the Graduate and Professional School, and
  • include a copy of the job details screen in Workday verifying employment in an eligible title code, and
  • include a memo from the employing department stating the reason the waiver is being submitted late.

These documents are required for all late fall, spring and summer non-resident tuition waiver requests.

If you have any more questions, please take a look at our FAQ page.

Defense Announcements

Upcoming Events