Departments initiate alternative certification requests.

The student should provide the department with documentation to support alternative certification. If the department deems the documentation sufficient to merit alternative certification, the department will submit, with an authorized departmental signature, the Request Form for Alternative Certification recommending and requesting alternative certification (with supporting documentation attached) to the Graduate and Professional School.

Departments can request alternative certification for an international graduate student who is a citizen of certain English speaking countries listed on the Office of Admissions web site.

The Graduate and Professional School will determine on a case-by-case basis whether to grant alternative certification.

Examples of experiences and/or training that may justify alternative certification:

  • Completing a rigorous and comprehensive training program in English oral skills or courses at a university and/or institution other than Texas A&M University. Students must provide associated transcripts.
  • An international graduate student who has received a baccalaureate degree following four years of study at an accredited institution located in the U.S. qualifies for alternative certification.  Texas A&M requires an official transcript submitted to the Office of Admissions denoting the degree conferral date. Please Note: An international graduate student holding a master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution qualifies for verification but not certification. 
  • Certificates from English as a Second Language Intensive training programs as a basis for certification will not be accepted. These certificates will not represent an alternative to the applicable TOEFC, TOFLI, GREV, GMATV, IELTS, PTE, or ELPE requirements as they do not reveal the rigor of the training or the language proficiency of the student.

Defense Announcements

Upcoming Events