Knowledge Center - General FAQs

Quick Links

Can I take a leave of absence from my studies?

You can initiate a leave of absence request by submitting a Waivers and Exceptions petition through the Document Processing Submission System (DPSS). A leave of absence will be granted for one year, and only under conditions that require the suspension of all activities associated with pursuing the degree. For certain types of approved leave, such as medical, the time period for completing the degree will stop with the leave and begin when the student returns to the program. Other types of leave may not stop the time limit for the degree. Consult your program’s graduate academic advisor for details.

If you are a pregnant or parenting student who would like to request a leave of absence, please do not submit your request through DPSS. Instead, please contact the Title IX office at, (979) 845-8116, or the main Title IX phone number at (979) 485-8407. For more information related to pregnancy and parenting accommodations, please see the Title IX webpage.

For more information on program requirements please visit the graduate catalog.

Related knowledge

Authorized Signers Forms
When do I submit my degree plan?
How do I make sense of my fellowship award letter?

Explore Grad Aggieland


Texas A&M Hosts Promising Young Scientists Ahead of Prestigious Nobel Laureate Meeting

A select group of young scientists gathered at Texas A&M University last week in preparation for the upcoming 73rd Nobel Laureate Meetings in Lindau, Germany. The young scientists — a total of 32 students and post-doctoral researchers from across the country — will join more than 600 of their peers from around the world at this year’s meetings, set for June 30-July 5.

View All News

The grad school arc

If you’re just starting your Ph.D., especially in a STEM field, Serina talks in her latest post about the differences between each year of a 5-year Ph. D. program.

View All Blogs
Defense Announcement

Deep Learning for Molecular Geometry and Property Analysis

View All Defense