Knowledge Center - Funding and Benefits

Quick Links

What Are the Requirements for Non-Resident Tuition Waivers?

The Texas Education Code (below) defines the requirement for granting a non-resident tuition waiver.


A teaching assistant or research assistant of any institution of higher education and the spouse and children of such a teaching assistant or research assistant are entitled to register in a state institution of higher education by paying the tuition fees and other fees or charges required for Texas residents under Section 54.051 of this code, without regard to the length of time the assistant has resided in Texas, if the assistant is employed at least one-half time in a teaching or research assistant position which relates to the assistant's degree program under rules and regulations established by the employer institution. Transferred and redesignated from Education Code, Section 54.063 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 359, Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2012.

Graduate Assistant Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Qualifications

  • To be eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver tied to employment as a Graduate Assistant (GA), the student must be:
  • Employed at 50% effort in an eligible GA position prior to the 12th class day of fall/spring or 4th class day of the summer session in which the student is enrolling.
  • Making satisfactory academic progress. More information about satisfactory academic progress policies can be found here.
  • Registered full-time (reference the GA registration requirements page for specific enrollment requirements based on title and term).

Submit the non-resident tuition waiver request form to the Graduate & Professional School. 

NOTE: All non-resident tuition waiver request forms for GAs employed in non-academic units and for students enrolled at the Health Science Center must be submitted to Graduate & Professional School for processing. Spouses and dependents of eligible GA’s also qualify for resident tuition. For spouse/dependent waivers, the eligible student must provide proof of legal marriage or dependency with the non-resident tuition waiver spouse or dependent form. If you have any more questions, please take a look at our help page.

Related knowledge

Do I have to submit a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver every semester?
I am the spouse of a graduate assistant, do I qualify for a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver?
Why haven't I received my funding?
I’m a master’s student and a University employee. Will my tuition and university required fees be covered?
I’m an international student and a University employee. Will international student fees be covered?
I’m employed as a GANT in a non-academic unit. Do I qualify to have my resident tuition and required fees paid?
Non-Resident Tuition Waiver
International Graduate Assistant Waiver Process - Guidelines and FAQs

Explore Grad Aggieland


Graduate and Professional School Launches Spring Awards Ceremony

The new ceremony will honor Distinguished Dissertation, Montgomery and Outstanding Mentoring awardees, as well as GRAD Aggies certificate earners. 

View All News

Work in Progress: Trials, Tribulations, and Traffic

Living in College Station for almost a decade means I have witnessed two things: a lot of construction and a lot of friends leaving. Read on to find out what those two have in common.

View All Blogs
Defense Announcement

Biomarkers of inflammation in canine chronic enteropathy

View All Defense