Knowledge Center - Forms

Quick Links

Non-Resident Tuition Waiver

welcome to Texas road sign

Non-Resident Tuition Waivers allow students employed as Graduate Assistants (GAT, GAR, GAL, or GANT) and their spouses to pay tuition at the in state rate. Non-resident Tuition Waiver requests, along with the required supporting documents, must be submitted each semester. 

*Exceptions to these title codes include Graduate Hall Directors (Title Code 9020)  and Veterinary Residents (Title Code 6162) which are also eligible for a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver.

Texas Education Code Rule

Texas Education Code, Sec. 54.212. TEACHING OR RESEARCH ASSISTANT. A teaching assistant or research assistant of any institution of higher education and the spouse and children of such a teaching assistant or research assistant are entitled to register in a state institution of higher education by paying the tuition fees and other fees or charges required for Texas residents under Section 54.051 of this code, without regard to the length of time the assistant has resided in Texas, if the assistant is employed at least one-half time in a teaching or research assistant position which relates to the assistant's degree program under rules and regulations established by the employer institution. Transferred and redesignated from Education Code, Section 54.063 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 359, Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2012.

Obtaining a non-resident tuition waiver

Graduate Assistants (and spouses/dependents of Graduate Assistants) employed by an academic department must work with their employing department to request and obtain a non-resident tuition waiver.
The Graduate and Professional School is responsible for reviewing and processing requests when:
  • the graduate assistant is enrolled at the Health Science Center, or
  • the graduate assistant is employed in a non-academic department, or
  • ​the graduate assistant (and spouses/dependents of graduate assistants) is submitting a late request.
For waivers submitted to the Graduate and Professional School, it is strongly recommended that the graduate assistant identify the names and TAMU emails for the designated Authorized Signers in a) the employing department and b) the student’s home academic department.

Ensuring that you collect the contact information for the correct persons will enable the Graduate and Professional School to process your Non-Resident Tuition Waiver request without unnecessary delays. If you need help identifying the appropriate person(s), contact the academic advisor in both your employing department and home academic department (if they are distinct).

Upon confirming the designated Authorized Signers, graduate students submitting a request for a Non-Resident Tuition Wavier to the Graduate and Professional School must initiate the Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Request Form or the Non-Resident Tuition Spouse or Dependent Form

Upon completion of the form, a digital workflow will be created. After all designated Authorized Signers on the form have signed, the form will be routed to the Graduate and Professional School for processing. If approved, the waiver will be entered in the student’s account. If the waiver is not approved, the Graduate and Professional School will notify the student via the student’s TAMU Email address.

Related knowledge

Do I have to submit a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver every semester?
How many hours do I need to be registered for to qualify for a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver?
How many semester credit hours (SCH) must I be registered for to qualify to have my tuition and required fees covered?
What Are the Requirements for Non-Resident Tuition Waivers?
What happens if a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Requests is submitted late?

Explore Grad Aggieland


Andrea Porter Wins 2023 Three Minute Thesis Finals

Interdisciplinary engineering doctoral student Andrea Porter won the 11th annual Texas A&M Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition on Friday, November 3. Her presentation, “Better Body Armor for Women Warfighters” describes her research to use innovative engineering for improved design for ballistic vests for women in the military.

View All News

Don't Give Up: A DNA Story for Struggling Research Students

Serina tells the story of a project she just wasn't sure was going to work out- but wound up being the star of her dissertation. Check it out!

View All Blogs
Defense Announcement


View All Defense